«

»

Jul 28

Egypt in the light of the massacre of the 27th of July

Calendars in Egypt will not only remember the 27th of July 2013 as the 19thday of Ramadan , they will also remember the day as the day the civilized world condoned a massacre of immense proportions; the day the world lost a little more of its humanity, with minimal fuss.

Statistics of the Coup since President Morsi was deposed in Egypt

The Guardian reportsthat at least 120 supporters of Egypt’s ousted president, Mohamed Morsi, were shot dead on Saturday by security officials in what is being described as the worst state-led massacre in the country since the fall of Hosni Mubarak. Ground sources have however, put the death toll at as high as 200 deaths. Aljazeera reportedthat Ahmed Aref, the Muslim Brotherhood spokesperson, said 66 people were killed, another 61 are “clinically dead”, and a further 4,500 people were injured, 700 of which were injured by live bullets. The health ministry, meanwhile, has put the figure at 80 killed so far, based on the number of bodies received at the morgue. It said 792 people had been injured in the clashes.

The massacre took place in the small hours of Saturday morning, at a sit-in at Rabaa al-Adawiya, east Cairo, where tens of thousands of pro-democracy supporters have camped amidst calls for his reinstatement since Morsi was deposed on 3 July. They were killed over a period of six hours during a drive by Central Security forces (CSF) flanked by  on a road near the anti military coup sit-in at Rabaa al-Adawiya in eastern Cairo.
The butchery only came hours after Interim President Adly Mansour announced, “the state has to impose order by all force and decisiveness.” The same day, Interior Minister Gen. Mohammed Ibrahim warned that security forces would be clearing pro-democracy sit-ins from Rabaa and Nahda squares “soon.”

It needs no reiteration that this slaughter of defenseless citizens materialized less than 24 hours after hundreds of thousands of anti-Morsi protesters gathered in Egyptian streets to give General Abdel Fatah al-Sisi, the army chief who ousted Morsi, their assent to crackdown on what he had on Wednesday called “terrorism”.

As a verification of the media blackout in place, Egyptian media has largely remained silent. It was a testament to the deep roots of the Mubarak era regime in Egyptian media that the British newspaper, The Guardian was among the first to say this, “Sceptics say this (Sisi’s speech) is a euphemism for a violent campaign on largely peaceful Morsi supporters, who have held sit-ins and marches across several Egyptian cities since Morsi was overthrown – including at Rabaa al-Adawiya. For weeks, most Egyptian media have depicted pro-Morsi supporters as terrorists.

It was just a few days earlier that the Guardian outlined the dangerous consequences of a failed ‘Islamist’ experiment in Egypt, emphasizing on repercussions that could affect regions far outside Egypt. As if to test the Guardian perspective, the security forces carried out a bone chilling massacre. In the early hours of 8 July, 51 Muslim Brotherhood supporters camped outside the Republican Guard club in Cairo were killed by security forces. Egypt’s military claimed the protesters had attempted to break into the compound with the aid of armed motorcyclists. However, after examining video evidence and speaking to witnesses, medics and protesters, the Guardian uncovered a chilling story of a cold blooded massacre. The Rabaa massacre on the 27th is indicative of a situation that is fast deteriorating towards a point of no return.

Statement of Human Rights Watch:

“The use of deadly fire on such a scale so soon after the interim president announced the need to impose order by force suggests a shocking willingness by the police and by certain politicians to ratchet up violence against pro-Morsy protesters,” said Nadim Houry, deputy Middle East and North Africa director at Human Rights Watch. “It is almost impossible to imagine that so many killings would take place without an intention to kill, or at least a criminal disregard for people’s lives.”

This is the detailed statement on the Rabaa massacre by the New York based human rights organization.

Verifcation of the massacre:

These are on-site video certifications of the massacre in Nasr City, at Rabba’s podium on the road leading to Rab’aa Sq. which started on Jul 27th, after 1:00 a.m. and took place on the grounds of the authorization that General Sisi requested from his advocates, to cleanse the country from what he labeled as ” possible terrorism.”

The result was attacking peaceful, unarmed demonstrators with live bullets, cartouche, and heavy tear gases that turned out poisonous because they have expired; not excluding children or women. The military’s armored vehicles joined hands with security forces and thugs against the peaceful marching civilians, in an effort to break in to Rab’aa Sq. to attack the in-sitters there. The demonstrators, however, built human shields with their bare chests to block their way and save the peaceful in-sitters at Rab’aa.

Here are video links:

1- Thugs and security forces attack demonstrators with cartouche, live bullets, and tear gases:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re178B8TEFo
2- Security-forces bullets at Rab’aa Massacre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-elQVRRJ2I

3- Martyrs and casualties at Rab’aa Massacre.. All by Security-forces snipers aiming at the head and the heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLT1cAvmzg8 
4- The first 4 martyrs in Al-Manassa Massacre, with the blessings and care of the military
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JkbQcQNbSM
6- Scenes from the field hospital at Rab’aa Massacre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po7ISnn4oro 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPOEOYUnnGY
7- A demonstrator turns dumb after serious break in the skull during the massacre.. He draws signs in the air meaning “I testify that there is no God but Allah”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDh37QSf-iI 
8- Urgent: cries and appeal for aid from Rab’aa field hospital 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq9qaFJrxA4
9- Doctor Hisham Ibraheem, field-hospital coordinator
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBpxgL5Vwzg 
10- Appeal for aid from the head of the field hospital : we need doctors in all specializations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6DGaskVqY8 
11- An eye-witness, Dr. Rabab Mohammad, cries for help after witnessing security forces in masks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQqdJSdaIjs&feature=youtu.be 
12- Another eye-witness who lost an eye in the attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsx-1MpzjGg
13- A fiery message to Al-Azhar Sheikh
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtA9yy5jw50 
14- Urgent: Mohammad El-Beltagy cries and appeals to UN and Human Rights Organizations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXUkv6am2Rs
15- Rab’aa Masacre: police vehicles attacks the demonstrators
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYZQP-7tef8

Here are links to photo galleries of the massacre:

1-Andalou Agency photo gallery: http://www.aa.com.tr/en/mod/photo-gallery
2-One of the most clear and graphic sets of the massacre by Mosa’ab AlShamy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mosaaberising/sets/72157634814310842/

Message from the MOI:

Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim hailedDefense Minister Abdel Fattah al-Sisi and said “he responded to the nation’s call” and put the country’s best interest above all. Speaking in a graduation ceremony  of police academy on Sunday, he congratulated the “Great Egyptian people” for achieving ‘miracles’ on June 30 and July 26 when they united with the military and police forces and gave them the mandate to deal firmly and strongly with those who try to destabilize the nation with what they described as “terrorist acts.” He said that the police forces were adamant on achieving security and stability and proved that they only had the people’s and the nation’s security at heart.
Gehad al Haddad’s predicament:
Gehad Al Haddad, English spokesperson for the Muslim Brotherhood , when asked about what precautions the Muslim Brotherhood was taking to avoid further bloodshed in light of the massacre, said,
” There are not many precautions that one can take. These are peaceful protesters, they carry nothing in their hands but their own chants and their own pictures. There’s nothing more that they can do except to appeal to the humanity of the one’s attacking them, if there’s any left in that, or to that of the rest of the world, that are allowing such massacres to continue. But I think that this military coup leadership has already crossed all red lines that it can cross. They killed men, women and children. They arrested thousands of people. The death toll now since the start of this coup is bigger than the entire Egyptian transition period of three years since the January 25 revolution.
Reactions in light of the massacre:

First it was all silence.

For the world was shocked.

As the condemnations and reactions of millions around the world poured it, a disturbing phenomenon was observed. The governments of the world were mostly quiet.

The state apparatus of Egypt remained mum too. It was the Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei who strongly condemned the “excessive use of force” in Egypt and the resultant deaths after the deadly massacre in light of the attacks by the security forces against the supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi. However, it was limited to one simple tweet from his twitter account. It suffices to say that he was largely ignored due to his inconsequential standing in Egypt’s politics at the present moment.

The sheikh of Al-Azhar, Ahmed al-Tayyeb, who heads the Cairo-based Al-Azhar, said in a statement that he deplored and condemned the deaths of a number of martyrs who were victims of the day’s events. The grand imam called for an “urgent judicial investigation” and punishment of those responsible “regardless of their affiliation”.

In stark contrast, the Coptic Pope, Tawadros II, sent a thank you tweet to the army, which read:  “Thanks thanks thanks … For all of the open doors of hope for all of us: Egypt’s great army, the police, the people of Egypt inherent;”.

The April 6 national Movement called for removal of the interior minister while the main ex-opposition, the National Salvation Front released a statement, expressing “deep sadness” for the deaths of Egyptian citizens in the clashes while ultimately going on to blame the Brotherhood for organizing the protests in the first place, raising questions as to how much aggrieved they really were.

The U.S. and the EU mouthed eloquently worded statements that reeked of complicity with the new regime in Egypt, as they diplomatically showed shock at the deaths on the streets, while being limited to scolding the military to be a mite more careful in doling out human rights to the supporters of the deposed democratically elected President Morsi. The flow of aid to the Egyptian military still continues unabated to this minute.

The only voice of dissent was the Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan who actively condemned the violence, saying “In Egypt, democracy was massacred, national aspirations were massacred, and now the nation is being massacred.”

“Those who remain silent in the face of this massacre have blood on their hands and on their faces,” 

As self professed progressives turned secularists of the world unite in finding thousands upon thousands of excuses of the how the Brotherhood was responsible for it all, I shall finish with a quote by Gehad Haddad: “This is the beginning of a new military [dictatorship] in Egypt, even if a few civilian faces are slapped on top of it”